Well it’s that time of year again, time to analyse the noise.
It’s been a brilliant year and 2017 is already looking pretty damn good. Newcastle is buzzing!
Top 10 gigs of 2016
1. Shellac – Leeds, Brudenell Social Club – May 2016
I had to pick this one. I’ve been waiting 15+ years to see them. It was worth the wait. Amazing.
2. Dinosaur Jr – Glasgow ABC – November 2016
Fan boy trip to Glasgee. It was magical watching Lou Barlow dance around barefooted.
3. Cancer Bats – Newcastle Academy January 2016
Wasn’t a fan before the show but damn they are phenomenal live!!
4. Young Liar – Northumberland Students’ Union – April 2016
They don’t play enough but when they do it’s all the more special. They were on top form. Some footage and interview stuff from the night here…
5. Dog Tired/Tombstone Crow/I’ll Play The Villain/Unholy Concoction – Newcastle Academy – August 2016
Just a crazy fun night with some crazy fun bands and awesome tunes. Good times!
Watch the documentary here…
6. Explosions in the Sky – Sage Gateshead – October 2016
I adore this band beyond words.
7. Physics House Band – Newcastle Cluny – November 2016
Just silly good!
8. Telepathy / Kylver / Kurokuma and more – Manchester Rebellion – October 2016
I had the chance to head down to Manchester with Kylver and caught some awesome diverse bands. Telepathy are silly good. They’ll be touring a lot in 2017 so make sure you catch them. It was a great day. So many great bands and many many beers!
Kylver – October 2016 – Rebellion Manchester
9. Torche – Newcastle Riverside – October 2016
Bucketlist band! Despite some awful flu virus I had the time of my life.
10. Conan/Bendal Interlude/Dirty King – Think Tank Newcastle – April 2016
Loud as hell. Great lineup and all the bands were stunning.
Albums of the year
I’ve not really bothered much with new music this year. However it’s been a spectacular year for instrumental music…
1. Dextro – In the crossing
It’s been a long long time since I’ve heard a record that mesmerised me from the very first listen. A beautiful record. Check my original review here
2. Russian Circles – Guidance
How do you follow Memorial? Seemingly with ease. Russian Circles continue their dominance in the ‘post-metal’ genre with another flawless record.
5. Kylver – The Island
What can I say? They did it again. Powerful album recorded in only 4 days. Hard to believe this is only their second year as a band. Unstoppable.
Kylver recording album number 2 in Blank Studios
4. Gojira – Magma
Thee most important metal band of the last decade (IMO). They returned with a more open and accessible 6th album. World domination awaits.
5. Explosions in the Sky – The Wilderness
A long awaited return from a band that I have a special connection with, their music got me through a tough part of my life and will remain one of my favourite acts for the rest of my days.
6. Dinosaur Jr. – Give a Glimpse of What Yer Not
Another dose of classic Dino!
7. Mogwai – Atomic
A real grower of an album. Less guitars this time around. It’s a gorgeous piece of work.
8. Bendal Interlude – Reign of the Unblinking Eye
Huge sounding record and one hell of a comeback. Nasty video mind, you’ve been warned 😉
9. Conan – Revengeance
The production on this record is a marvel. Also Conan’s most accessible record to date. It also sounds amazing at 45 RPM!
10. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Skeleton Tree
Understandably dark and beautiful mourning record from one of the greatest songwriters of all time. Perfect record for a rainy day with a glass of red.
Discovery of the year – I’ll Play The Villain
No words required. Just watch this…
Comeback of the year – Richie Ramone
Just a retro kick cash in? Hell no! Got to see them perform twice in Newcastle and I was stunned each time.
Top tip for 2017 – Kurokuma
Amazing band from Sheffield. Hard grafters and hard music. They tour a lot so I’m hoping for more chances to see them in 2017